I love everything about warm baked apples with cinnamon. For me, that’s one of the most comforting types of desserts. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still very much so a chocolate lover. But how can you say no to a warm apple crumble?
I’ve made many crumbles before, but with other fruits. Confession time – I typically make them with berries because it’s a bit quicker since there’s no peeling or chopping involved. But apple crumble still beats berry crumble when it comes to flavor in my humble opinion.
This apple crumble happened during quarantine coronavirus times. Meaning that I had all the extra time in the world to peel and chop. Not only that, but having apples at home are pretty handy since they tend to last a little longer than many other fruits.
A little side note about my peeling apples experience. Not trying to jinx myself here, but it had been a while that I experienced any whoopsies with a knife. And guess what? I had a little whoopsie with a peeler. A peeler! Out of all the kitchen tools. So just a little reminder to not underestimate the whoopsie power of a peeler. But no worries, I’m fine. 😉
Back to the recipe. This apple crumble is gluten-free and vegan friendly. And if you don’t have any apples at home, no need to run to the store to buy some. You can always swap it for another fruit that you do have. Same applies for the walnuts. That’s just what I had at home. Swap it for any other type of nuts or just stick to adding extra oats.
Well, let’s jump right to it. See you in the kitchen my dear friends!
Apple Crumble Recipe
- 2-3 apples peeled and chopped in small bite-size pieces
- 4 TBSP apple sauce
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- Juice 1 lemon
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- Sprinkle sea salt
- 1 cup walnuts (crushed or cut in small pieces)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 TBSP cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix well all top crumble ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix well all filling ingredients.
- Add filling ingredients in a baking dish. Top with crumble ingredients.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or chilled :).